Punisher War Zone (Former SHH members)

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Punisher War Zone (Former SHH members)

The Punisher SHH forums are down, so now we've created this forum to continue discussing our love for all things Punisher.

+8
fat freddys cat
Balthus Dire
Kable24
screams
Punisher_MAX
Brendan
Sgt.Castle
Team Andino
12 posters

Who did you like most as The Punisher

Kable24
    Kable24

Who did you like most as The Punisher - Page 2 Empty Re: Who did you like most as The Punisher

Post  Kable24 Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:22 pm

screams wrote:
    Kable24 wrote:it's just to bad the execution of the three movies wasn't the greatest. All novice director's and the writing just sucked. The actors were the only good part about all three.

Agreed. Actually, I agree with most of your post. I liked Ray the best, that's all.

Like I said I think Jane edges Ray out by a little bit. They were both so good in the part. Ray just looks more intimidating.
    Punisher_MAX
    Punisher_MAX

Who did you like most as The Punisher - Page 2 Empty Re: Who did you like most as The Punisher

Post  Punisher_MAX Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:37 pm

Kable24 wrote:
    screams wrote:
    Kable24 wrote:it's just to bad the execution of the three movies wasn't the greatest. All novice director's and the writing just sucked. The actors were the only good part about all three.

Agreed. Actually, I agree with most of your post. I liked Ray the best, that's all.

Like I said I think Jane edges Ray out by a little bit. They were both so good in the part. Ray just looks more intimidating.

word. I do give it to Jane that he did make me care a lot about Frank. But even the MAX version of Frank has shown emotion such as in Long Cold Dark
    Sgt.Castle
    Sgt.Castle

Post  Sgt.Castle Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:36 pm

Kable24 wrote:
    Sgt.Castle wrote:
    Kable24 wrote:
    Team Andino wrote:
    Kable24 wrote:
    Brendan wrote:Has anyone played the new Punisher game yet?

No, I don't have the PS3. I hope at some point it gets released on Xbox Marketplace.
    Unfortunately I think its suppose to stay a PS3 exclusive. Eventually when I pick up a PS3 we'll have to have a match of all of us from the Punisher forums Very Happy

Yeah, I don't think my wife would appreciate me buying a PS3 just for that considering I came home with a Wii this past weekend. 2 gaming systems, plus I still have my modded PS2 hooked up. She might throw a hissy fit.

Hehehe, Hissy fit....

Damn you guys are lucky,I'm still playing SEGA Sad

Genesis or Master System? lol

I miss my Sega Genesis

Genesis. I do have a badass Game collection, including the original Punisher game, where you can play as Fury
    Balthus Dire
    Balthus Dire

Post  Balthus Dire Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:28 pm

I'd have to say I liked Stevenson the best. He was pretty much perfect in my eyes.

To be honest, I don't think any Punisher film to date has got it 100% right, but in my eyes War Zone is the closest they've come yet.
    Sgt.Castle
    Sgt.Castle

Post  Sgt.Castle Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:00 pm

I think the 04 Extended cut beats them all.
    Balthus Dire
    Balthus Dire

Post  Balthus Dire Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:40 pm

Extended cut didn't do anything for me. The subplot with Jimmy Weeks was pointless in my eyes, and even if they filmed the Kuwait intro instead of doing a cheesy animatic it still would've held no water.
    Sgt.Castle
    Sgt.Castle

Post  Sgt.Castle Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:58 pm

Balthus Dire wrote:Extended cut didn't do anything for me. The subplot with Jimmy Weeks was pointless in my eyes, and even if they filmed the Kuwait intro instead of doing a cheesy animatic it still would've held no water.

I enjoyed it. I think the Jimmy subplot helped everything make a little more sense, and it made the film a lot Darker.

Plus it was Gold compared to War zone, IMO.
    Balthus Dire
    Balthus Dire

Post  Balthus Dire Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:45 pm

I think it's too soft for a Punisher film, but to each their own I guess. I still really enjoy the 04 one, I just enjoy PWZ more.
    Sgt.Castle
    Sgt.Castle

Post  Sgt.Castle Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:57 pm

Balthus Dire wrote:I think it's too soft for a Punisher film, but to each their own I guess. I still really enjoy the 04 one, I just enjoy PWZ more.

Yeah, They were both pretty good. I mean they all had Major flaws, but each film Got Frank right.
    screams
    screams

Post  screams Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:38 am

I actually think of the extended cut as the normal cut of that movie.
    fat freddys cat
    fat freddys cat

Post  fat freddys cat Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:16 am

Hi all !

its my first post here, just like to say,

am so glad there is an other punisher web site up and going, and for what its worth i liked all three actors as frank, although i can't make my mind up as to who i liked better as frank between Jane or Stevenson, Jane had the build but not the height and Stevenson was not built up enough for franks character i thought, both actors brought frank to life really well though........

But i think in the long run its Jane that will get the best regard cause the 04 movie is better then war zone, yes its all over the place tone wise but it is quite serious in places like no other punisher movie has done, like War Zone was just a romp, not really like the MAX comic Lexi was supposed to be making.......

Like the killing of Franks family in the 04 movie is brutal (if not like the comic) and really brings it home to the viewer just what motivation frank Castle the punisher has, in the new movie the Central Park flash back is true to the comic but does not hold any of the power the 04 movie holds...........
    Sgt.Castle
    Sgt.Castle

Post  Sgt.Castle Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:55 pm

screams wrote:I actually think of the extended cut as the normal cut of that movie.

Same here. The extended cut added much more depth to the film.
    Punisher_MAX
    Punisher_MAX

Post  Punisher_MAX Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:06 pm

i personally didnt like the killing of his whole family in the 04 version...i actually felt for him when just his wife and kid were killed in that scene reminiscent of mad max.
    War Zone
    War Zone

Post  War Zone Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:18 pm

When it comes down to my favorite Punisher films in order:

1- Punisher War Zone- Gritty, violent, darkly funny, and a badass anti-hero doing justice. Does justice to the comics. BEST Punisher we have.

2- Punisher 1989- Violent, was not a great movie (it was good), but compared to the Thomas Jane Punisher, Punisher 1989 was so much more fun and kickass for its time.

3- (missing)Not much to say. Thomas Jane is a good actor, but did the best he could with a horrid script. Since when was the Punisher drunk and his entire family gets killed on an island? The movie was soft, boring, and failed to do justice to the Punisher.
    Sgt.Castle
    Sgt.Castle

Post  Sgt.Castle Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:43 pm

I believe if they would have kept Michael France's script for the 04 film, it would have been 1,000 times better
    Mike
    Mike

Post  Mike Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:14 pm

I liked Jane, Stevenson could have been a really great Punisher and he was good, he just needed an actually good script and director.

As for "when was the Punisher a drunk?" Well, he's seen drinking in The Punisher: Year One (which the movie is for the most part based on), and seeing as how they were going for a more grounded in reality take with the character, the fact that he would be hitting the bottle after such a traumatic experience is fairly realistic.

As for the massacre, I would have preferred a more traditional take on it, but it does what is required. The shot of him running toward his dead wife and son is heart-wrenching.
    Punisher_MAX
    Punisher_MAX

Post  Punisher_MAX Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:01 pm

Stevenson has the potential to own the role and add more depth to it...ever seen Rome?
    Mike
    Mike

Post  Mike Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:07 pm

Yes, I mentioned he was good and could have been great, just that he needed a better script and director to achieve great.
    fat freddys cat
    fat freddys cat

Post  fat freddys cat Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:43 am

I agree .

The war zone movie itself let Steveson down....

It was supposed to be based on the Punisher MAX series ?

more like marvel knights too me, and thats a pity..........
    Balthus Dire
    Balthus Dire

Post  Balthus Dire Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:03 pm

I don't get how people say it wasn't close in tone to MAX. It was, it just wasn't the same tone as apparently everyone's favourite arc "The Slavers". The other MAX comics have always had over-the-top villains and lots of dark comedy, and the violence has always been insane across the board, so I don't really get how people say it was more Marvel Knights.

IMO, the 04 film was much closer to Marvel Knights than PWZ.
    Mike
    Mike

Post  Mike Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:22 pm

I think it comes down to that it was played mostly in a tongue-in-cheek fashion. The dark comedy just falls flat, they used solely violence to try and the comedy like 'oh look at that fat guy, he got his head blown off lol.' The '04 film did the dark/dry comedy better IMHO.
    Brendan
    Brendan
    Admin

Post  Brendan Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:37 pm

Mike wrote:I think it comes down to that it was played mostly in a tongue-in-cheek fashion. The dark comedy just falls flat, they used solely violence to try and the comedy like 'oh look at that fat guy, he got his head blown off lol.' The '04 film did the dark/dry comedy better IMHO.

Yeah, that fat guy was pretty random. Didn't get a single reaction from the audience. I wonder if it was the same actor who played that Jabba looking guy in the first Blade, cause that's what that scene reminded me of.

The rocket launcher, now that was something that got a reaction from the audience.
    Mike
    Mike

Post  Mike Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:20 pm

As shitty as the effect was, that bit was funny.

As for 2004's I found these to be pretty funny in a dry way, there's a couple more, but I'm to lazy to find the quotes.

"You look like a strong kid. You must work out. Ever try isometrics? This antipersonnel mine weighs eight pounds. Not much, but try holding it with an outstretched arm. Hell of a workout."

"You are one dumb son-of-a-bitch…bringing a knife to a gunfight." (then the knife blade shoots out).

Accountant #1: You know whose money this is? You know whose building this is?
    Frank Castle: Howard Saint's.
    Accountant #2: He's gonna fuck your life up.
    Frank Castle: He already fucked my life up.
    Balthus Dire
    Balthus Dire

Post  Balthus Dire Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:03 pm

The Russian fight was my favourite part of the 04 film. I weep that we will never see Ray Stevenson taking on Barracuda. That would've been a freakin awesome fight.
    Mike
    Mike

Post  Mike Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:26 pm

The Russian fight was a nice balance of brutality and dark comedy. The LBJ fight should have topped it, but it just came off kind of lacking.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:06 am