Punisher War Zone (Former SHH members)

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Punisher War Zone (Former SHH members)

The Punisher SHH forums are down, so now we've created this forum to continue discussing our love for all things Punisher.

5 posters

Marvel Hiring Writers

Punisher_MAX
    Punisher_MAX

Marvel Hiring Writers Empty Marvel Hiring Writers

Post  Punisher_MAX Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:54 pm

So I read on SHH that Marvel is trying to look for writers to write scripts for their smaller properties...shit, Maybe we should all work on an Adaptation of the Slavers and submit it or something...I already have my draft in my head that I need to put down on paper that will be as close to the source material as Watchmen was.
    Brendan
    Brendan
    Admin

Marvel Hiring Writers Empty Re: Marvel Hiring Writers

Post  Brendan Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Punisher_MAX wrote:So I read on SHH that Marvel is trying to look for writers to write scripts for their smaller properties...shit, Maybe we should all work on an Adaptation of the Slavers and submit it or something...I already have my draft in my head that I need to put down on paper that will be as close to the source material as Watchmen was.

Well, what they're basically doing is hiring writers who are already established in the business. They're also basically a sweat shop of writers all in the same office building working on nothing but Marvel comics movies. From what I remember hearing, Marvel basically owns those writers. They shamelessly sold their souls for a paycheck cause Marvel now owns everything they do outside of writing for Marvel movies. Basically the Vince McMahon treatment towards screenwriters.
    Balthus Dire
    Balthus Dire

Post  Balthus Dire Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:47 am

It's a joke. If you're a writer like myself (as I'm sure many of us are), you always have to be careful of crap like this. There are tons of major companies out there in television and film especially who will do stuff like this because they know that young, talented, fresh writers who are looking to get a leg up will jump on it and they can basically pay them peanuts.

It's a damn shame and it's almost insulting. You basically work for dirt cheap for a matter of years while they make millions off all your ideas and own everything you write for them, and even after all that's done they can still throw you out on your ass if they want to and you end up with nothing.
    Brendan
    Brendan
    Admin

Post  Brendan Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:53 am

Another thing is these guys aren't writing for characters like Spider-Man or Hulk, they're working on screenplays for more obscure comic characters like Black Panther and Nighthawk which are movies that will never live to see the light of day.
    Kable24
    Kable24

Post  Kable24 Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:52 am

Disney does/did this and only paid their writers $50,000 a year. Which depending on where you live is either a lot or practically minimum wage. I would assume in Los Angeles this is like living on welfare. If I knew I could write some really good stuff, I would be all over it.
    Balthus Dire
    Balthus Dire

Post  Balthus Dire Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:17 pm

Kable24 wrote:Disney does/did this and only paid their writers $50,000 a year. Which depending on where you live is either a lot or practically minimum wage. I would assume in Los Angeles this is like living on welfare. If I knew I could write some really good stuff, I would be all over it.

I'd love to be all over it too, but companies do this all the time. It's almost like interning, which I despise. I know people who've been interning at production houses for like 2 years and still aren't getting paid. I just want to slap them in the face.

Writing is a craft, man. Not everyone can do it, especially well, and positions like this should be well paid.
    fat freddys cat
    fat freddys cat

Post  fat freddys cat Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:49 pm

Lets hope that any new project that Marvel are saying that they do learns from past mistakes...

HELLO IS ANYONE ELSE HERE ?!?!?! Lol

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:13 pm